Monday, 11 March 2013

I am the queen of endurance. No really. I really am. Ask anyone that has run with me. I keep us nice and slow to begin with. And when we're all feeling good and relaxed and calm I'll shift gears a bit. And then, when we've found a nice strong rhythm I'll shift gears again. For me it's all about holding on to reserves. The result? A run that is actually enjoyable.

See I reckon starting at pace sets you up for a tough run. Your lungs and heart panic and that immediately makes you feel the fear and ultimately feel defeated.

So. I am the queen of endurance. I am however USELESS at the sprint to the end. I'm so intent on holding on to my hard fought reserves that I just have never let go. Which means all the strategic pace setting through the race doesn't chase that clock down at end.

But yesterday, at The Hutt News Fun Run, I could sense the finish line getting closer. And when Nicky picked up for the sprint my whole body panicked. Don't sprint! You'll lose all your reserves!

And that's when the switch went on. The whole point of reserves is for the end!!!!! And there's the end there!!! So let go!!! Use up those reserves. Run. Run as fast as you can. You have the reserves. RUN!!!
And I did. I ran as fast as I could. Arms pumping fast and legs practically leaping. My heart was on the brink of exploding. But the end was just there and I used up every tiny drop of reserves.

I have always, always been afraid of letting go. I've held on so tightly, terrified that I won't make it.

I let go and ran. And took another minute off our fastest 10k.