Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Warning. Lecture comin!

Calories in. Calories out.

My friend Liz got me into this new app. My Fitness Pal.

You tell it some details about yourself and it will tell you what you need to do to lose weight.

I have been using it for the last 4 days.

Wow. No wonder we all got so fat.

To lose or even maintain our weight ... The amount of food that we can put in to our gob is alarmingly low. Alarmingly. Let me say that again. Alarmingly.

I still have this BLIMMIN last 5 kilos to shift. And now I know why it won't shift.

Here's what I've learnt from these last few days of using this app.

Trying to cut down on food is simply not good enough. I actually have to do it. Not try it. But do it.

Here's the other thing that I've learnt. We have to do something EVERY day so that we can enjoy a decent amount of food and not feel like we're on the 40 hour famine every day.

But that something has to be hard out. Like running. Walking won't cut it. Running for 30 minutes allows you to eat a little extra. It's the difference between feeling starved and feeling replete. Not a lot extra. Just a little.

I really had no idea how fine that scale was. Calories in. Calories out. Tip it slightly one way and you'll never shift the weight. Tip it slightly the other way and you will.

But where's the fun in that? There isn't. It's just a fact. We are fat cos we eat too much.

I know where the fun is. At the end of a run. Knowing that you've actually done enough for a mellowpuff. Just one though. Just one.